Sunday, March 13, 2011

It's Madness

This is my favorite time of year.  The tender green shoots of crocus, daffodils and tulips are beginning to reach upward.  The sun has begun to have some warmth to it and the birds are returning.  Yes, spring is on it's way.  But those things to me signify it's time for March Madness!  As most of you know, I am a huge college sports fan.  It doesn't get any better than getting my Diet Pepsi, some snacks, my laptop computer and settling in for basketball games all day and evening.  This year I have my own sort of March Madness.  That would be keeping the hospital stocked with quilts.  So in addition to my usual staples, I also have a stack of quilts, spools of thread, needles and scissors all ready to go.  It is amazing how fast you can hand sew a binding on during a basketball game.  Before you know it, the game is over and you have a quilt ready.  The best of both worlds.




Here's a bright disappearing 9 patch quilt.  These are always fun for us because you can get so many different looks from the same pattern.






If you look closely (and sideways) you will see the pink flamingos.  Fun, Fun!














And of course a quilt would not be complete without a great backing.  This backing of hot pink stripes with black dots is perfect.  The quilting is a plus too!


Trains anyone? 



              Trains, stars and plaid.  Just what a little guy needs.



Add some great quilting, a swirly back and you are good to go.

            

If you like purple, this is the quilt for you! 



It all started with a piece of floral fabric that didn't seem to catch our eye.  But we (I guess actually my sister) started cutting it up and it got better looking!  She added some odds and ends and sent it to the quilter.  The quilter added some gorgeous gold thread in the quilting and it became beautiful!


     
The quilter used a beautiful orchid floral backing that makes the whole quilt pop.  The rule is "If you don't like the fabric cut it smaller.  If you still don't like it, you didn't cut it small enough."  That certainly held true for this quilt.  Two people with creative talent combine to make a quilt better than they thought it would ever be.

The madness is here for this year.  Next year my hope is that we have worked ahead and the hospital is well stocked.  I'll still be in the thick of March Madness but I'll be sewing bindings calmly and not with the madness I am this year.