Thursday, June 6, 2013

Ryan

There are some days you get out of bed, the skies are cloudy and you just feel like you are in a funk.  You wonder if what you do is worthwhile.  Does anybody notice?  Does anybody care or appreciate it?  Is it really worth all the time and money you spend?  It doesn't matter whether it is your job or something you love doing.  We all have those questions at some point.  If you are lucky something comes along that answers those questions.  Or maybe it isn't luck.  Maybe it is the affirmation that we are making a difference.   I could show you lots of quilts today but I am going to do something different.  I had something come along a couple of days ago.  This is why I started doing what I do and what some wonderful and giving ladies wanted to join.  I have very few days that I ever wonder about it, but for the few times I have, this erases them all.

Dear Marla,

Hello! My name is Kristina. My 5yr old son, Ryan, was at L.M.H. just two weeks ago.  We want to send a heartfelt ‘Thank You’ your way for the amazing quilt.

We ended up in the ER on a Sunday evening because he couldn’t breathe and his lips were blue. That was the first nights of many… My son has really bad asthma and we couldn’t keep his oxygen level up high enough to get sent home. That first Monday morning in the pediatrics is when he received his blanket. Not only did the letter touch my heart, but my son was thrilled!! The blanket even matches his room here at home!!!  All through his extended stay, that blanket was the only thing he wanted to sleep with. I think it is such a wonderful thing you do and the group does… soon I will be sending fabric your way. Please give me an address where I can drop it by. I live in Lawrence so it shouldn’t be too hard to find it! 

Also, I would like to tell you that he is home now and doing well. The blanket is still his favorite! The pictures I have attached are of my son during his stay, one with his 5yr old cousin getting cozy with him under your blanket, and one with him now at home. 
I saw his blanket on your blog and was so excited to see your other works of art! Thank you so much for the warm and encouraging gift!

Sincerely,

Kristina 











I received this email and pictures and immediately knew it is a good thing we do.  It is worth the time, the effort and the money it takes.  Ryan and Kristina know that we care.  And isn't that the best feeling in the world?  It is....next to being able to give to someone else.  Thank you to all who help me make this possible.  I've said it before.  We receive much more than we give.  Thank you Ryan and Kristina for letting us know.