Friday, April 22, 2011

Making a Difference

Usually one of the first things I do when I get up in the morning is to check my email.  It is kind of like checking the snail mail in the afternoon.  I can't wait until it comes because there might be something good in it.  And no, there usually isn't anything good.  Yesterday morning I checked my email as usual, but unlike most days when I have mostly updates from websites I have subscribed to, I had an email from a name I didn't recognize.  I quickly opened it and found the most awesome message.  I want to share it with you.  I made sure that Jennifer was good with my sharing.

Hi Marla,
I wanted to send you a very special thanks for the beautiful blanket that you and your team made for my son. We were vacationing family in Lawrence and had an unexpected scare with my son Vincenzo and he was admitted to the hospital with bronchitis. Thank you so much for your time and effort, you are doing an amazing thing for children all over. He now sleeps with it every night and it will forever be with us. Can you please send along our thanks and pass on this picture to those who were involved in making the quilt. Vincenzo says THANKS!

Jennifer Christiano


Is that an awesome email or what!!!!  And what a beautiful child.


Talk about an email making an impact!  We always hope our quilts go to someone who will love them.  We do get thank yous in the mail from time to time and we certainly are thrilled to get them.  This email along with a picture of Vincenzo actually in the hospital with his quilt is priceless.  Of course, we wish he hadn't had to go to the hospital, but I'm very happy he got a quilt.

In the morning when we all get out of bed, I doubt that most of us think about who we might make an impact on that day.  I have to admit I don't.  I make quilts.  That is what I do.  It isn't a big deal but on this day it was a big deal to Jennifer and her son.  I am grateful that I and this group had the opportunity to make a difference.