Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Opportunities


Opportunities.  There are those who think opportunties magically happen--something that comes along once in a lifetime.  I happen to think they are waiting out there for us.  But the trick is, you have to look for them.  You aren't going to just stumble across them.  Sometimes you have to nudge them, cradle them and nourish them.  An opportunity may come out of something good or it may come out of something less.  But an opportunity is only what we make it. Making quilts for the pediatric unit was an opportunity that I made happen.  I certainly haven't made it happen alone.  I have lots of help and encouragement.  But even if I didn't, I still could seize the opportunity to make a difference for someone.  I certainly wouldn't be at the 50 quilts donated mark, but I still would have been able to do something.  In the letter that we give to the parents of a child receiving a quilt, I wrote, "Out of difficult situations come pieces of unexpected joy."   Indeed it is true. We all go through difficult situations in our life.  It is what we choose to do with those situations that matters.  You can choose to find a piece of unexpected joy. I have and I wish the same for you.